Sunday, May 6, 2012

Speak Easily


May 4, 2012

On Jan 13, I made a decision that has turned out to be far more impactful that I ever imagined.

It was time to visit my local speakeasy, and come bearing gifts. I arrived solo and was led to the last spot by the bar. A standing spot nestled in by the bartenders. I present them with the Rye which I'd brought over.

The looked at it and set it down. Few words were spoken. I asked them to make me something, Anything. Their choice. My hoping that they would crack the new bottle was in vain. They made a traditional old fashioned with the house Rye. It was good, but disappointing too. I wondered what it would have tasted like with the bottle I had brought. I asked for a second drink, this time a special one made with Rye. The Vieux Carrie. I was looked at with what I thought was mild scorn, and soon the bartender begun rummaging around under the counter for liquor not prepped for that evening. Another strike against me. Bottles materialized, and a drink was crafted, again with the house Rittenhouse rye. Holger, the scornful bartender, tasted it and made a face. And then poured it for me.

The drink was sublime. Maybe the single best cocktail I've ever tried. Complex. Savory. Aromatic. It had it all. Looking at the bottles they produced, revealed XO Cognac, Antica vermouth and exotic unknown bitters. When I asked why he made a face, he looked me in the eye and said it was his favorite cocktail in the world. He cracked a slight smile.

Empty cocktail glass in front of me, Holger tells me, "Now, it's time to try." Grappa style tasting glasses were produced, the bottle opened and the liquid sparingly poured into three glasses. The other owner, Goncalo comes over and smiles. "That was the longest hour and a half I've waited in a long time" he said. Holger explained that this bottle is legendary. Friends of friends have discussed it with them.  It's unavailable anywhere in Europe. With the 80 percent rye grain content is is authentic like a speakeasy would have served. He was savoring the expectation of the moment. We taste. He stops. Glasses down. He explains that it still needs time to settle after being opened. He smiles and cradles the bottle like he's rocking a baby. Goncalo sets out three small water glasses and fills them each with beer. The perfect accompaniment to the settling rye. It's time. We taste. They talk about their love for Rye, the good times they have had with friends over different bottles. They smile and laugh and share fond memories. They are beaming from the experience.

It's time for me to go. I've been getting tastes of everything now. Feeling fog-headed but also like an insider on the inside of the bar. It's good to be inside. My bill arrives blank with a large "Thanks" written on the back.  I discreetly fold 50 euro under the paper, we shake hands, and I set off on my short ride home. 




No comments:

Post a Comment